Discuss the ways in which an authentic online professional profile can be developed
93% of recruiters plan to use social media to support their recruiting efforts according to Jobvite. This obviously shows that it is really important to build an authentic online professional profile, and this blog post will discuss the ways to do this. We already spend 4 hours a day online so lets make it count.
Multiple Social Media Presences
Last week my blog addressed the advantages of having more than one online identities BUT something I failed to mention is that, do you really need to be on EVERYTHING? This video sums up how I feel nicely:
The video speaks about being clear with yourself, asking yourself:
- Who am I trying to target (an audience or employers).
- Where do my targets hang out online?
Once you know who your social funnel is you can properly prepare your social media presence. Which therefore enables you to engage with others in a more professional authentic manner online.
An interesting point Amy makes, which I’m sure many will disagree with me on is that: it is better to have a few profiles that you fully engage with than lots that you have average engagement on. James O’Reilly Co-founder Financial Adviser at Verse Wealth states that posting on social media is like having a megaphone and your posts are reflective of yourself. He states that authenticity is crucial online in the professional world. Therefore, this goes hand in hand with Amy that it is better to be authentic on a few sites than average on many.
Why bother with online presences? Here’s why:
- Blogging shows dedication and motivation makes you different to employers. Who else posts a blog every week?
- As mentioned in my previous blog, LinkedIn can find you work. 94% of recruiters use LinkedIn to recruit workers.
- Joshua Waldman a writer from “For Dummies” states that you will be Googled anyway so why not manage the information about you online?
It can go so terribly wrong…
- Tom Daley back in 2012 suffered abuse by Twitter user: Rileyy_69 after coming forth in the men’s synchronised swimming in 2012. Rileyy_69 was arrested over these tweets, the BBC have the arrest story here. This video was one of the many reaction vidos that appeared, here it called him “vile and disgusting”
- Justine Sacco posted a horrendous tweet that “ruined her life” full story here.
2. Psychology Tricks
Studying Psychology is very interesting and helps, especially when dealing with people. Here are some Psychology Tricks to keep in mind when developing an online profile for authenticity.
Sources (By Appearance)
- Jobvite Statistics
- 4 Hours Online a Day Statistic
- Amy Schmittauers’ Video
- James O’Reilly’s Video
- LinkedIn Can Find You Work
- Joshua Waldmans’ Article
- BBC arrest story of Rileyy_69
- Reaction video by James Deacon
- Justine Sacco’s Story
- Mere Exposure and Familiarity Effect
- Online Behaviour and Personality Type